Saturday, September 19, 2009

Deals, Steals, & Tips






The Banking System Rocks

When I opened my bank account. I received a bank book with my balance. I was promised that I would receive my ATM card in two weeks. Ok cool. What I didn't realize was that my bankbook acted as an ATM card! And when you can put your bank book in the ATM and not only can  you withdraw your cash and do other various transactions. The ATM balances your bank book for you. Hello! Isn't that amazing?




After 7PM Deals

My colleagues and I were so excited when we found out that the supermarket gives a very big discount on meals, bread, fruit, pastry, almost everything after 7pm. When you are living in a hotel with no microwave and you have to buy every meal this is priceless.




Sunday is a Business Day

Say what? Yeah, Sunday is normal business day. A lot of places ie cellphone providers, malls, boutiques, and grocery stores open from about 9:00am-9:00pm.  I got my cellphone contract on Sunday around 7:00pm  and still had time to do some shopping in Harajuku.  Crazy and convenient I know. But just think this all comes at a price for the employees doesn't it.




7/11

There are 7/11s everywhere. And yes they are open 24 hours. If you run out of milk or nail polish 7/11 is there for you.  Also there is a chain called Family Mart which is just like 7/11. Almost every neighborhood has a family mart. Check it out.

100 Yen Stores

This is the equivalent to the Dollar Store. 100 Yen stores have everything. You can find food, pots and pans, cleaning supplies, etc. There is typically one in every neighborhood. Find it and use it.  It helped me survive my first moth in Japan.

The Importance of Slippers

Earlier I posted about the no shoes policy in homes, some business, and the classroom. Most places offer slippers to change into or you wear your socks. What I failed to explain is that the slippers phenomenon goes way beyond that.

When you go to the bathroom in hotels, restaurants, various public places, and even in your home. You are supposed to have specific slippers for that room. You change into bathroom slippers and they stay only in the bathroom.

When you go shopping and you enter the dressing room. You either change into dressing room slippers and leave your shoes outside of the door. Or you do the socks or barefoot thing. The sales staff will kindly remind your. I witnessed this in the Gap and Uniqlo already.

Air Conditioned Trains

Let's face it, Japan can be very hot and humid. And all the trains are air conditioned! What's the big deal? Well after living and traveling in Europe I realize this is a privilege and not a right. And I appreciate that.

Google
Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment