Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Saitama & Tokyo


Saitama

I moved to Saitama to continue training on August 19th 2009. I stayed in the R&B Hotel in a city called Kumagaya. There were a few differences that I noticed as soon as I exited Kumagaya station.
Firstly,  Saitama was not as HUMID as Nagoya. Yay!  And it definitely looked and felt like a city.
Another cool aspect of Kumagaya was that it was much closer to Tokyo than Nagoya. It takes between 53 minutes to slightly over an hour to arrive in Shinjuku, Tokyo depending on the speed of the train.



Tokyo
I will admit that I was terrified about visiting Tokyo. I thought I would be overwhelmed. I wondered if it was safe. I knew I would stand out like crazy and I was worried if I could face the scrutiny. However, Tokyo is fabulous! There's great shopping, it's very modern. I was expecting to see a lot of the old architectural style, however, it's mostly sky scrappers, bright lights, and traffic. It's like most cities except bigger, stronger, faster :). In my opinion.  Yet, Tokyo still reflects Old Japan. There are "hidden" temples, gardens, beautiful parks in Tokyo mixed in with the modern attractions.

For example, I took the train from Shinjuku to Harajuku. Harajuku is known for it's great shopping, "Harajuku Girls," etc. However,  there is a beautiful shrine/temple just east of Harajuku station.  Although, it's less than a 10 minute walk from the station. It feels like worlds away. The shrine is located in a beautiful and tranquil forest. It's quiet, has small ponds, and all I could hear were crickets. I later found out they actually weren't crickets but another insect.  I can't remember what they are called.




Harajuku

Harajuku is shopping heaven. The stores vary from the Gap to Ralph Lauren and other designers. There is a Chanel boutique and a Mac Store on the same street. There is something for every budget. What I love about Harajuku are the hidden streets that turn off from the major streets  into shopping alleys. In those clandestine areas you can find uber deals. My favorite store in Harajuku is the Marc Jacobs store.

Also, I was excited to see the Harajuku girls. Except, I really had no idea what  I was looking for.  My first trip to Tokyo was a last minute decision the night before. The next day. My friends and I hopped on one of the early trains to make a day trip into the city. When we arrived in Harajuku we were scouring the streets to spot these fashion forward girls. I was expecting to see the girls for Gwen Stefani's video come to life.  I learned that the Harajuku girls were not just one idea. They were goth girls, ladies dressed up like princesses, basically girls with edgy fashion. They usually pose on the bridge by Harajuku station or close by the station exit. Sundays are the best days to visit Harajuku if you want to get a glimpse of these fierce girls.

Customer Service

The customer service is Japan is excellent. It may even rival the customer service in America. The staff are attentive. Super polite. Everything is wrapped beautifully. You are walked to the door and given a bow upon your departure. This customer service is the same even if you don't spend a dime.  For example, while I was in Nagoya I needed to adjust my glasses. I went into a random eyeglass store and they fixed my glasses for free and gave me excellent customer service even though I didn't spend one Yen.

Clubbing

Tokyo has so beautiful and luxurious clubs. I'm still building my club resume so there will be more to come later. So far, I've been impressed. There is an air of exclusivity, the atmosphere and the people are chic. The clubs I have been to have had a good mix of locals and foreigners.  Which is the best of both worlds.

Next post: The awesome banking system, amazing trains, and other things I've been generally impressed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment