Friday, November 13, 2009

The French Connection


The Japanese have a love affair with all things French. Before Japan, I taught in France and then vacationed in Tunisia. Thus, my french radar was pretty high.  I first notice the french influences during my flight to Japan. My dinner had a few french staples: a croissant, brie, and my desert was a french pastry.



The french influences are scattered throughout Japan. From Nagoya to Chiba I noticed there were bakeries featuring french deserts,  salons with french names, and many department stores had french titles. Most department stores obviously carry many french designers.



Louis Vuitton seems to  be designer of choice for women. Most women here seem to own at least one Louis Vuitton item. I even joked that it's illegal to be a woman here and not own Louis V. I have some photographic evidence to back up my claims.





No comments:

Post a Comment